It’s a crumbly, buttery, sweet delight sure to satisfy your gluten-free cookie cravings every time! Note that traditional wafer cookies, like the Nila ones of our childhood are a bit thicker and chewier than these, but I prefer my cookies on the thinner, crispy side!
I am a self-professed cookie monster. Love cookies. But sadly not many of my favorite childhood cookies – like tea biscuits, Nila wafers, shortbread cookies or sugar cookies – are available in a truly delicious melt-in-your-mouth gluten-free form. So I had to learn to make my own! This is a ridiculously easy gluten-free vanilla wafer cookie recipe with an adult twist – a splash of bourbon to give a spicy, aromatic twist and a sticky sweet, lick-my-fingers glaze.
(Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission if you make a purchase from a link in this post, at no additional cost to you. Additionally, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for supporting this site!)
How To Make Gluten-Free Vanilla Bourbon Wafer Cookies
All you need is six ingredients to make these gluten-free vanilla wafer cookies, and most likely you already have them in your kitchen.
The recipe starts as all classic cookies do, with a lot of butter! To really bring out and complement the vanilla bourbon flavors, white sugar is swapped for brown sugar.
One of the most important aspects of all gluten-free cookie recipes is using a high-quality gluten-free flour. I like Cup4Cup gluten-free flour or Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Flour. Both flours work well for a 1-to-1 swap and you don’t have to worry about adjusting measurements or adding xanthan gum or other binders.
Ingredients For Gluten-Free Vanilla Bourbon Wafer Cookies
Wafer Cookie Ingredients:
- 1.5 cups butter
- 1 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp bourbon
- 1 /3 cup brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
Vanilla Bourbon Glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbs water
- 1 tbs vanilla
- 1 tbs bourbon
How To Make The Vanilla Wafer Cookies
- Cream butter, brown sugar, vanilla and bourbon together until smooth.
- Slowly add in flour and stir until just mixed. Tip: Dough should be crumbly but able to stick together. Mix in a little more butter a tablespoon at a time if dough does not hold well enough.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- While the cookies bake, prepare the glaze: Add powdered sugar, water, vanilla and bourbon to a small bowl and stir until a glaze forms. Tip: If the glaze is too runny, add a bit more powdered sugar. The glaze should be thin but able to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove cookies from oven and let cool completely. Drizzle the glaze over the cookies using a fork or spoon.
Shop My Baking Essentials
Cookies will keep for about a week in an airtight container. I like to store in the fridge to keep the glaze firm and then eat at room temperature.
Have you tried these gluten-free vanilla bourbon wafer cookies? Let me know in the comments and I would love to hear your tips, substitutions or add-ins!
Love this gluten-free vanilla bourbon wafer cookie recipe? Pin it to save for later!