This one-pan lemon chicken recipe makes juicy, tender chicken with the Mediterranean flavors of crisp white wine, tangy artichokes and salty olives for an easy chicken dinner that’s ready in 30 minutes.
I am always looking for new, flavorful ways to make an easy one pan chicken dinner. Sheet pan chicken with roasted vegetables is one of my go-to’s, but with this recipe, I’m changing it up with a Greek-inspired one skillet lemon chicken with artichokes, olives and spinach.
(Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission if you make a purchase from a link in this post, at no additional cost to you. Additionally, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for supporting this site!)
This recipe is so easy to prepare and clean up, while still being full of healthy ingredients and packed with flavor. No bland, dry chicken for dinner tonight.
Salty olives mingle with bright, citrusy lemon and tangy artichoke hearts in one skillet to create a light sauce for the chicken that packs a big flavor punch.
Tips For Making A One Pan Dinner Of Lemon Chicken With Artichokes And Olives
- Chicken cut: I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts but this recipe would be just as delicious with bone-in or skin-on breasts, or chicken thighs or drumsticks. This recipe works with whatever chicken you have on hand!
- Season, season, season: Be generous with seasoning the chicken. The oregano and garlic salt help form a bit of a crust on the chicken that makes it so flavorful.
- Heat: You don’t need a lot of oil but let the pan get really hot so you get a nice brown sear on the chicken. I tend to flip my chicken before it gets really nicely browned (I’m afraid to overcook it usually). If you put the chicken on a really hot pan you’ll get that browned outer edge without drying out the chicken.
- Optional additions: I’m not using any cheese in this recipe, but crumbling feta over the whole skillet at the end would be a great way to finish the recipe. You could also add chopped tomatoes or red peppers to the skillet for an extra dose of veggies.
- Use quality wine: Use a dry white wine that you’d be just as happy to drink! If you don’t want to use alcohol you can use extra amounts of water or chicken broth.
- Serving suggestions: This recipe pairs nicely with rice, roasted lemon potatoes or additional roasted veggies. I tossed some broccoli and cauliflower in the oven while making the chicken in the skillet, to serve on the side with a drizzle of pan sauce.
How To Cook One Pan Lemon Chicken For An Easy, Flavorful Dinner
A lot of people think chicken for dinner is boring but default to it because it’s easy, accessible and affordable. This one-skillet lemon chicken recipe is bursting with flavor and is anything but boring. The trick is to start building flavor in the pan by searing the chicken, setting it aside and then building the sauce.
Start by seasoning the chicken really well. Add oil to the skillet (I use olive oil) and let it get nice and hot, but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook until well-browned on the outside but not fully cooked through, 4-5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Don’t clean the pan – add sauce ingredients: butter, white wine, lemon juice, and olive juice right away. Stir to combine, scraping up any browned bit on the bottom of the pan.
Add artichokes, lemon wedges and olives and simmer for a few minutes until the sauce thickens slightly. Carefully add the chicken back in, including any accumulated juices and simmer on low-medium heat until the chicken is cooked through. Add spinach until just wilted and remove from heat.
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, thighs or drumsticks
- 2 lemons
- 1 can artichoke hearts, halves or quarters
- 1/3 cup olives, chopped (Tip: I used a mix of green and black olives but you can use whatever olives you prefer)
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chicken broth or water
- 2 tbsp olive juice (Optional but it really adds a nice depth to the sauce!)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season chicken breasts with olive oil, garlic salt and oregano (Tip: if you don’t have garlic salt, you can use garlic powder and onion powder).
- Juice one lemon, cut the 2nd lemon into rounds or wedges.
- Cook the seasoned chicken in a hot pan until browned on both sides but not cooked through; set aside on a plate.
- If the pan is dry, add a little more oil to the pan and add onions, let cook until fragrant.
- Add lemon juice, white wine, olive juice, and chicken broth, stirring up the browned bit at bottom of pan to make a light sauce.
- Add artichokes and lemon rounds, bring to a boil and then add the chicken along with any accumulated juices on the plate.
- Lower heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through.
- Add olives and spinach and cook until olives are warmed and spinach is just wilted.
- Remove from heat and serve.
That’s it! I hope you enjoy this one pan lemon chicken recipe as much as I do! Please let me know in the comments if you try it!
Love this recipe for a one pan lemon chicken with artichokes and olives? Pin it to save for later!