Trust me, you’ll never want to eat another Cheez-It or Cheese Nip again once you’ve tried this cheese cracker recipe. These are basically homemade Cheez-Its – even better than store-bought Cheez-Its, I dare say, because they don’t have all the artificial, chemical gunk.
Move along, Cheez-Its, you’ve got some competition with this cheese cracker recipe.
The recipe comes from my Aunt Louise, who is a wonderful chef and baker, and this cheese cracker recipe has quickly become a party appetizer staple around here because they are delicious on their own, served with extra-sharp cheddar, maybe a spoonful of olive tapenade. Or my personal favorite way to serve them, topped with a tangle of prosciutto and a glass of red wine.
Tangy, nutty, cheesy, salty with an extra kick from the cayenne pepper. Part cookie, part cracker, part completely unique, these savory homemade Cheez-Its are sure to be a hit at your next party or potluck event.
You can use white or orange cheddar, but the sharper the better to give these cookies a real punch of flavor. These are gluten free but you can use a non-GF flour just as easily. I use standard Whole Foods 365 organic shredded white or orange cheddar cheese and my favorite gluten-free flour.
More of a sweet cookie kind of person? You might like my dessert cookie recipes too:
How To Make Homemade Cheez-Its
It’s so easy to make this cheese cracker recipe! It sounds like re-creating what is basically a gluten-free Cheez-It would be a laborious process but these crackers honestly come together in less than an hour. All you need to make this recipe is a food processor and some basic kitchen essentials.
You’ll process the butter, cheese and spices and then add in the dry ingredients and process again until a dough forms.
Roll the dough into two long logs then place in the refrigerator to chill. After chilling, simply slice, dip in sesame seeds (optional) and bake!
Don’t skip the chilling step!
The dough stays together and slices much better when it’s chilled and firm.
Then bake the cheddar cheese cookies and try not to eat them all in one sitting!
Homemade Cheese Cracker Recipe Ingredients
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper *if you like a little more of a kick, increase to 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour *or any all-purpose baking flour
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Sesame seeds or poppy seeds for garnish
Homemade Cheese Cracker Recipe Instructions
- Add butter, cheddar cheese, mustard powder, salt, cayenne pepper and nutmeg to a food processor and process until combined.
- Add flour, water and baking powder to the food processor and process again until all ingredients are combined into a dough.
- Remove dough from food processor and roll into a long log – round-ish or square-ish is fine, it doesn’t matter!
- Place log in the refrigerator and chill until firm. You can wrap the log in plastic wrap or place on a baking sheet while it chills.
- Pre-heat oven to 275 degrees.
- Once firm, slice the log into 1/4 or 1/2 inch slices, dip in sesame seeds if using and place face up on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, remove from oven and let cool.
- Serve immediately on their own, with a cheese plate or top with olive tapenade or prosciutto.
- These cookies will freeze well or keep in pantry for up to a week.
What do you think of this homemade cheese cracker recipe? Do they taste just like homemade Cheez-Its to you too? Let me know in the comments below!
Love these homemade Cheez-Its? Pin it to save for later!